Search This Blog

Friday, January 3, 2014

Little by Little

I have a special gift.  I can work myself up over things that haven't even happened yet.  It can get to the point where my heart begins to race and I feel sick.  

I know, amazing huh?

I think I've always been that way.  I like to joke that it's genetic.  But really, it's an extension of my lack of trust in the Lord.  I need to live and act as if I know that His grace will cover my circumstances when they happen - and no sooner.  

I grew up listening to Patch the Pirate cassette tapes.  We ended up getting them (not in cassette form though) for our girls to listen to in the car and they have really loved them!  

One day, even though I know all of the songs by heart, I really paid attention to the words of one of the songs.  
"…great things are done one step at a time. Little by little, inch by inch.  By the yard, it's hard - by the inch, what a cinch! Never stare up the stairs, just step up the steps.  Little by little, inch by inch."
The Lord spoke to me that day.  

Part of this special gift of mine includes only seeing how much is in front of me.  No matter the task, I tend to focus on how impossible it seems to get to the end.  And instead of just taking it one step at a time, all I see is the insurmountable mountain in front of me.  

Then yesterday, we took the girls to a bounce house.  And Kaylee faced a long climb.  She was technically too small and too young to do it.  She kept sliding down but she would try again and again.  She would look back at me for advice on what to do next.  

And little by little...


She did it!  I was so proud of her!  And thankful to see a lesson in trust and perseverance lived out right in front of me.  

I don't really do new years resolutions.  But I sure am going to try to do a better job at taking things one step at a time.  

Happy New Year ya'll!! Step up those steps!  ;)



No comments: